19 May 2009

No Regrets Shoe Shopping

Black lace overlayed upon a deep maroon satin, presenting an aura of bronzed burgendy. This pair of 4 inch stillettos, with a boxed toe and 1/2 inch hidden platform, as one would expect this season, is the latest addition to my closet. Designed by Steve Madden Luxe, I would've expect to pay between 90-120 dollars on this absolutely worth it pair of shoes. Fortunately for me, I know the ABCs of shopping, and got them for 16 dollars! Although there is no exact formula to shoe buying, I find that the ABCs get me through the basics of buying on a budget.

Assortment: Get some! Don't always buy the same shoe. I have many pairs of black leather high heels in various styles that I have collected over the years, but there is one pair that is my consistent go-to pair. Until that pair is no longer recognizable as its former self, I won't buy another pair. There is no need to spend my time and energy searching for a pair of shoes I already own, when I could be finding a pair I don't. 

Many people get into a rut when it comes to shoes. Remember that stylistically similar shoes are only distinguishable by you. Your friends, family and the throngs of onlookers who stop and watch as you pass will not notice the difference in your shoes if they look like every other pair you own. While shopping take the time to be picky and search for a stand out shoe you don't already own, so you don't waste your money.

Budget: Know yours! Not every pair is right for you, as much as I like to think they are. Take the time to find what best fits your budget. 
If that perfect pair by Vivienne Westwood costs hundreds more than you have, its not perfect. The more dangerous pairs are those that are just out of your range, within twenty to fifty dollars of your budget: so close and yet so far. When you start saying, "Well, do I really need bread this week?" Back away!

There are day I walk into a store knowing I could go for that pair, so I set my limit. I am not spending more than x amount today, and if I don't find a pair less than that, I am going home without shoes. It is tough, trust me I understand, but in this economy, a bad credit score isn't worth it. 

Clearance: The holy grail of budgeted shoe lovers. Shopping the clearance section is an acquired skill, but with time, can be perfected. My personal plan of attack is based on how the clearance section is divided. If it is broken up by percent discount, I start the lowest, you don't want to fall in love with a pair that is 10 percent off to later find a pair 50 percent off. Otherwise, I begin my hunt in the section marked with your shoe size. I always do a preliminary scan for shoes I am on the lookout for, for example I am currently searching for a pair of leather boots. Once I realize that they have no boots, or have tried on what they have, I move on to the rest of the section. If you find yourself with a pair of shoes that doesn't quite fit, check the nearby sections or ask a sales associate for help. 

Good days are one like mine, when you can walk into a store and come out with a pair of 80% off shoes. But don't always expect results and don't ever force them, some shoes just aren't meant to be. As much as I love clearance, it is most definitely hit or miss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment