31 May 2009

Extreme Heels

From extreme heights to extreme designs, designers are making heels that are anything but conventional. I'll be showing you a few of my favorite, and least favorite takes on heels.

This pair of Proenza Schouler's Bracket shoes exemplify an extreme use of material,
combing a sleek and sexy white matte leather with a more industrial frame ornamented with, well, brackets. The idea of dividing hardware from the leather upper as opposed to the more common style of meshing the two adds an interesting layer to this design concept. This cousin of the wedge heel de-feminizes the look to a certain extent, adding a sense of power and strength, while also increasing the femininity of the upper part of the shoe because of the strong contrast.

Alexander McQueen can always fall under the category of extreme. His Fall 2009 collection did not disappoint.
This is definitely one of the oddest versions of a platform heel I have ever seen. When I showed my sister this photo, she responded, "Those aren't shoes Rachel, those are like, tables." Pretty much sums up the feels of a normal person, I would say. But, I keep wondering what I would say if I were people watching one day and saw someone walking down the road in these. Who I am to say that McQueen isn't the next Roger Vivier? I am sure there were skeptics when Vivier popularized the stiletto. They probably wondered how one would walk in a stiletto and worried about practicality. They probably said it wouldn't last.

Okay, so right now I am a skeptic, but don't quote me on that if you see these on me in a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment